I bought LitterKwitter online (there are several providers, I bought mine in Norway) for around 400,- It came with a "toiletseat" and three rings. (See video).
HOW I STARTED
|Amadeus showing us the pink ring|
After a week with successful toilet-business from both cats, in the ring (on the floor) I raised it to the fake toilet-seat (which you place on top of your real toilet-seat. I had to use tape to manage to place it securely on top of my toilet. It was too narrow and the devices provided to make a more snug fit did not work for this make of toilets, unfortunately.)
As long as the ring was clean (it takes no time to get "full") both cats had no problems doing toilet-business in the pink ring. (The ring with no hole in it.) Sometimes Amadeus got frustrated with the new "toilet". I could hear him complain for a long time before he wanted to do number two. Most times where he was supposed to, but there were "accidents" from time to time. (Usually my fault, for not being quick enough making the ring completely clean.)
|Amadeus showing us the orange ring|
I didn't want to start all over again (since I was so happy for the progress Christa had made), so I made the hole smaller (using cardboard wrapped in several layers of plastic). This was a great idea because after that (and giving him treats every time he did something on it) he always uses it. (Except if it is too dirty!)
(You can buy more rings online, but I managed to make my own and save a lot of money I guess ;)
This is how far we have come. I try not to rush them, and I try to keep it is as clean as possible at all times. It seems to be the vital thing. I will keep posting the progress I make here.
Some VALUABLE LESSONS to share:
1. Don't rush (the stages takes longer than "Litter Kwitter" writes on the box)
2. Keep the tray (ring) clean at all times! (Yes, it means a lot of attention, but it gives results & clean floor.)
3. Try to catch your cat in "action". Give LOTS of praise and a treat. Works like a charm!
4. Never scold the cat if it does it outside the box. It do not understand. Treats when he is good is the key!
5. Give food on same time, means that they will go to the toilet around the same time as well.
6. Buy a bottle of repellent (to spray on the floor if your cat poops there. Squirt just a little were the "favourite" floor-poop-areas are (around the time when the cat wants to "go"). This is usually when it starts complaining and trying to scrape invisible sand on the floor.
7. Use crystal NOT sand. It will clog up your pipes. (And make a mess on the floor!)
As mentioned, I will keep posting experiences and Amadeus and Christa's general progress. I will not give up even it is lot of work and much attention going into it. I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end.
(Cheaper as I do not need to buy sand for the next 20 years, more hygienic as they will not go from the litterbox straight onto my kitchen/pillow, and no smell in the house. Win, win!)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask :D